Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The first of many...

We officially can understand what every parent goes through in those first 24 hours at home.  Unreal. Needless to say, it was rough...BUT, we survived.  Elliot is learning how to get used to our home and we are learning all about Elliot and all his idiosyncrasies.  Byron and I forgot that our little guy is used to sleeping in a NICU with lots of noises at all hours and nurses there to sooth his every whimper.  At 4:30am, we were really thinking how foolish of those doctors and nurses to send us home with a baby, we still NEEDED them to help us with our boy.  After lots of tears and questioning our parenting skills, Elliot finally fell sleep in his bassinet for a couple of hours.  It was a miracle.  Byron and I kept checking to make sure he was still breathing, haha. We spent those first couple hours eating a wonderful meal that our neighbors surprised us with.  It couldn't have been better timing.

Night #2, went fabulous.  We aren't holding our breath for night #3, but we are still hopeful.  Our little guy let his mommy and daddy finally get some much needed sleep.  He still was up a couple of times to eat, but there is something about those middle of the night feedings that are some precious moments with my little man.  Byron and I even got a shower this morning, haha, the little things.

Elliot had his first doctors appointment at the Fort Collins Youth Clinic.  After some great recommendations for some pediatricians we have found the perfect doc for Elliot.  He passed everything with flying colors.  Of course he did pee on the nurse first thing.  He is in the 75th percentile for height and 45th percentile for weight and his head is still off the charts, but that is to be expected.  Since his surgery though, his head has gone from 46cm to 42cm.  The neurosurgeons want him to drain slowly, so he is doing great. It was very wonderful to have a "normal" doctors appointment with lots of great "normal" news.

After a good nights sleep and a good doctors appointment Byron and I were on a high and we even took Elliot out to lunch and then on his first outing to Home Depot.  It seemed only appropriate for him to go to his Daddy's favorite place.  After coming home and resting, we even took Filson on a walk around the park.  It was so nice to get out of the house and feel like we did some normal activities.  We even had our friends, Chris and Ann come up for dinner with their little ones.  

We are enjoying our little man so much and he just melts our hearts with every silly face, coo and squeak that comes out of him.  We are sure this week will be full of more first, good and bad, but we wouldn't have it any other way.  Friday we will be off to Children's for an Ultrasound of Elliots shunt and a follow up with the neurosurgeons.  We are looking forward to learning how Elliot's shunt is working and what is to come next.  Till then...

All dressed up

Wide Eyed

Rockin' another hat

Elliot loves car rides

Walk in the park

Home Depot


  1. I am still in AWE of Elliot. Amazing and wonderful news every time. Keep on charging little man :)

  2. He is adorable! So glad he is doing well.

  3. WOW, I think it's time you started his training for either some Tough Guy UFC fights or World's Strongest Man Competitions or something.

    Elliot, you my friend (and second cousin), are a STUD!

    Oh yeah, your folks are ok too...

  4. 'Rockin' another hat' is my favorite picture. Elliot is such a cute baby!! It's great you got out to enjoy the weather, and what could be better than a stroll through Home Depot? I think all three of you are amazing. I can't wait to meet baby Straw. Katie

  5. Great pictures! Elliot's awake!

  6. Thanks for the update. I wondered how you all were doing, and it sounds like you're a-ok. Nice pictures!